Monday, February 12, 2018

New Obsession

Hi! It's me! Still kind of on the fence about blogging but thought I'd give it a shot again.

When I was at the International Quilt Festival in Houston in November, I saw an exhibit of Sue Spargo's quilts. If you don't know anything about her, she is known for her folksy wool applique quilts. One of them really spoke to me.

What most of you probably don't know is that I grew up in South Africa. So did Sue. Many of her designs are inspired by her childhood in Africa, especially Folk-Tails.
Photos of her quilt in Houston:


Between the exhibit and a friend asking me to pick up some needles at Sue's booth for her, I was hooked. I bought the pattern book there and then.

The next step was a journey of sourcing wool for the project. And then I could start!

The pattern was originally a BOM and the quilt consists of 30 blocks.
I started the project around Christmas and hope to have it completed this year. It's quite addictive so it shouldn't be a problem.

Pics of my first blocks:

I'm going to try to post regular updates again from now on. There will still be "real" quilting posts too.

Also, if I'm a little lax over here, you can follow me on Instagram where I'm a lot more active.

2 comments:

  1. this is fantastic!! I am not so into the wool applique but this could change my mind!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? I SO didn't need another obsession but it was irresistible!

      Delete