Thursday, August 28, 2014

Quilting Grandmother's Flower Garden

The end is in sight for the Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt top. At least, I feel like it is. I've been working on it fairly diligently.
I'm thinking about hand quilting it, since it's hand pieced but I'm the world's worst hand quilter...

Anyhow, research has ensued and I thought I'd share a couple of photos from around the web.

A popular method is to shadow quilt in each and every little hexagon. That's a lot of quilting!

 It does make for a beautiful back though.
Another way is to outline the "flowers" and the "sashing".
This quilting works well with grandmother's flower garden layout, but also with scrappy style.

There is a lot to be said for machine quilting too.

Decisions, decisions.

2 comments:

  1. I have a grandmothers flower garden quilt that Angela Walters quilted for me - here are some pics maybe to give you some ideas: http://www.cascadequilts.com/2014/06/grandmothers-flower-garden-hexagon-quilt.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I slowly plod along with my Dear Jane hand quilting, I am coming to the realization that it is just not my cup of tea. I'm totally diggin' the looks of the machine quilted GFG-- so I may have to go that route should I ever actually get my top finished. :P

    ReplyDelete