Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Organizing English Paper Piecing Projects

Years ago Brenda of Dear Jane® fame sent me a little fishing worm binder to keep my blocks in.
It worked so well that I ordered a bigger one for the bright grandmother's flower garden quilt.

The inserts are the exact right size for individual "flowers" and it has convenient little pockets for thread, scissors, etc.

IMG_3271
IMG_3273
As for individual, prepared hexagons, plastic embroidery floss storage containers work well for larger ones although I've just been keeping them in the binder as well.

I needed a smaller option for my ½" hexies. I wracked my brain trying to come up with a solution, then had a light bulb moment! If fishing gear worked for other storage problems, maybe there will be something for the little blocks in the fishing department of my local store!
Lo and behold:
IMG_3254
IMG_3260
I also bought one a little larger which will hold more hexagons in case I get really ambitious and make a bunch ahead of time.

The unmade hexies, templates, thread, scissors etc. are stored in the binder I originally used for my Dear Jane blocks.
IMG_3281
The binders are from Bass Pro Shops. The smaller one is the Extreme Medium Binder and the larger one the Extreme Large Binder. You can get extra inserts for both of them. And I just noticed that they have a DOUBLE binder. I may have to get me one of those...

3 comments:

  1. Hmm, I'm going to keep an eye out for these. My mother tried out hexies about a month ago, and she tells me she already has 100 flowers sewn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very neat storage! I've been a fan of the plastic boxes with compartments for a long time, but I've never seen the binders before. Online shopping here I come!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very clever! I love these on-the-go solutions!

    ReplyDelete